Wednesday 23 April 2014

The Matisse Puzzle in search for a reading list

I've been thinking about the books that exist without me ever having heard of them. I'm sure many other people have been thinking along the same lines at least once in their life. Every book we read is, unfortunately, another chance missed by all the other books in the world, since the time we spend reading one cannot be given to another.


Simple logic, painful conclusions. But the question that arises is: wouldn't it be easier to have a list of books worth casting our eyes on? It's not just books we don't know, but also books we have forgotten. It happens, doesn't it? Even our dearest favorites get tangled in the dense web of other things we do or think about, and we find ourselves rediscovering a book as if we'd seen it for the first time ever.

Source: Wikipedia
Well, these thoughts have caused me to initiate this experiment in sharing and participation. I would like to ask people who are following me on any of the platforms I am using at the moment to share their favorite readings with me and with others. I am hoping to compose a list of books able to go into the world as a promise of pleasures.
In concrete terms, what I am asking for is not exactly a bare list of names and titles, but rather descriptions, reviews, thoughts centered on books we have read, liked, and considered worth recommending to others. Two or three sentences will suffice. They will show the world that we really care about the book we are talking about; that we've given it a thought; that we've gone beyond the words on the page.
You can come here at any time and post your short recommendation as a comment below this post. The experiment has been announced on Facebook as well, under the event page I've set up in preparation for the launch of my novel, The Matisse Puzzle. If this blog doesn't sound like the right place for you, you can go to this event page, and leave your review there. I am also present on Twitter, where you can find me as @N1ckMarsh. Maybe a 140-character situation is better suited for an experiment of this type. If you feel more comfortable within this limit, then use Twitter to recommend your book.
Yes, I know there are other places where one may feel more motivated to participate in an exercise of this nature. But what I'm inviting you to do is give a little of your time to test the strength of what I like to call "participatory culture": the thing we've all been involved in ever since we've taken the path of Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads etc.
The resulting list will be published on this blog on April 30, the day The Matisse Puzzle is going live. The event page mentioned above will also carry the message of your wonderful contribution, on the same day or (if things go wild - as I hope they will) even beyond April 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment